🌱 New Aldi Store Opens + Air Canada Back At BWI + Failed Robbery
Good day, neighbors! It’s me again, Michele, your host of the Glen Burnie Daily. Stay dry and warm today.
First, today’s weather:
Windy with periods of rain. High: 53 Low: 44. Hopefully the hoodies weren’t packed away yet!
Here are the top stories today in Glen Burnie:
- Robinson Crossing Shopping Center in Severna Park is the new location for an Aldi store. This store marks the fourth store in Anne Arundel County for the food chain. Hopefully, a grocery store will generate more and consistent shoppers to the shopping center. (WBAL TV Baltimore)
- Gerald Haigis, 47, of Glen Burnie is sentenced to “life” with all but 50 years suspended. This sentence was handed down after the attempted first-degree murder of a man on April 5, 2021. Haigis attempted to strangle, rob, car jack and run over the victim before fleeing the scene. (Anne Arundel County)
- Police were called at 5 pm on May 5 to the 100 block of Warwickshire Lane in Glen Burnie. There were reports of a person waving a gun in the air and trying to enter a stranger’s vehicle. The police were able to take the suspect into custody. (Anne Arundel County)
- Air Canada has restored its service to BWI Airport. The decision to restore service came since Canada’s pandemic restrictions are being lifted and global travel is increasing. Double-daily flights to Toronto will start on May 15 and single-daily trips to Montreal begin June 1. (Patch)
- Two suspects tried and failed to steal an ATM from a Royal Farms in Linthicum on May 6 at around 3:45 am Not only were they trying to break into the store, steal the ATM, but the truck they were using was also stolen. A witness saw the pair get into another vehicle and flee the scene. Anyone with information, call the police. (news break)
Today at Glen Burnie:
- Spring Book Sale at the GBIA & Kuethe Library today 9 am-3 pm Don’t let the weather deter you from getting a fantastic book to read! The event will go on rain or shine, inside or outside, come check them out. (Facebook)
- Who doesn’t like a clean ride? A car can be an expensive investment and should be kept looking like new. Learn the basic DIY of detailing your car. The Detail Garage in Glen Burnie is sharing their secrets today from 9:45 am-4 pm (Happening Next)
- The Glen Burnie Bowling Center knows how to treat mom right! Bring your mom or someone who is like a mom to you and treat them to brunch. All you can eat brunch and your first two mimosas are free. Come hear some music, visit vendors, enter a cash raffle and just enjoy the day from noon-3 pm (410 Area)
- Ann’s Dairy Queen is hosting a car show today from 5-9 pm All cars and bikes are welcome. Free entry for everyone. (all events)
- Orchard Beach VFD is hosting the “Michael Kors and Tiffany & Co.” jewelry bingo Doors open at 5:30 pm, games start at 7 pm Tickets are $40 at the door. (all events)
From my notebook:
- Spring has sprung and who doesn’t love a beautiful garden? Bright flowers, butterflies and bees not only bring curb appeal but may even bring a smile to someone’s face. Though, not everyone has a green thumb, click on the link to help even the most garden-challenged people have something beautiful! (patch)
- Since we are on the subject of gardens, why not plant what is native to Maryland? And why spend time replanting every year? Plant perennials like Butterfly Weed and Milkweed, they are just two of many plants that will perk up your garden and show your love of Maryland. (Lauren’s Garden Service)
- Feed the bees, butterflies and hummingbirds in one fell swoop of plants in your garden. Not only will your yard look amazing, but you will be helping Mother Nature’s littlest creatures. (DNR Maryland)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
You’re officially in the loop for today. I’ll see you soon!